The Doctor is IN!

Finally! The Gregg Reference Manual is online!

I just discovered that the Gregg Reference Manual: A Manual of Style, Grammar, Usage, and Formatting, 10th edition is online. For the last 30 years, I’ve touted this book as a good reference for people who want to make sure their technical and business writing is correct. Now, the print-based text is online at www.gregg.com vs. $51.07 for the book at Amazon.com).

I forked over the $14.75 for an annual subscription and am glad that I did. The site seems fairly stable and functional. You can access the pages by search, by Table of Content links, and by index links. You can view the pages as single or double (the way you would if a book were open). The double page seems best for navigation and the single page best for closer reading. You can highlight sections and the highlighter remains even when you close your browser and open it up again.

Considering the cost of the book and the fact that it is revised about every 5 years, the $15 per year would cost more than the book…but hauling that book around is a nuisance for me and I think the online version may be faster to use. I’m still pretty sure I’ll look things up in the book as well.

If anyone else subscribes to the online version, please share your experience with it.

Comments

1. Cam says:

I, too, have been using Gregg for over 30 years and I tout it as the BEST reference there is for technical writing. So many companies now use the Chicago or AP manuals just because “somebody said so.” They’re fine, I suppose, for academic or newspaper writing, but for a good ol’ scientific/technical manuscript, give me Gregg anytime! I’m delighted to see it available online.

2. Robert Lee says:

I completely recommend Gregg over any AP manual. I bought the book long ago and have used it ever sense for teaching, and even just to look back on as a refresher. I recently paid for the online subscription and I absolutely love it! I can access it directly from my IPad or computer so travel is easy. Definitely worth the monthly fee.

3. Abby Manheim says:

I attempted to subscribe online in order to use the manual in my professional work. I was confronted with a screen that wanted to know if I was a student or instructor. I am neither, so I had no honest way to get past that screen to subscribe. When I selected either option, it wanted to know my school so there was no way past that screen either. Thus I am unable to subscribe to the Gregg Manual. Perhaps I can find it used instead.

• Amy says:

Abby Manheim: The first screen says “If you are currently neither a student nor an instructor, please enter GRM as your school when prompted.”

• Amy says:

I’m still somwhat confused. Can my organization order the Gregg Manual online for multiple users? When I follow the instructions here, it appears I’m ordering an individual account, preseumably for access by just me. But I would like my organization to buy it for use at our office. Do they have a way for us to buy it for multiple users, or must we buy numerous individual user accounts (or unethically share the login among multiple users). My org would pay for it, but would not be able to authorize it without being certain we are doing it correctly for our purposes. Thanks.

• textdoctor says:

Thank you for your post, Amy. I am equally confused and frustrated! I tried to order the online version again (my subscription apparently had lapsed) and was able to pay for it but unable to get online. After multiple attempts, I wrote and cancelled and received a refund. I would suggest calling McGraw Hill (set aside some time :-) to do so), to see if you can get answers to what you need. My hunch is that they have let this product slide; I wish that were not true because it is a WONDERFUL resource and so much more environmentally friendly than purchasing a separate book for everyone. I wish I could fix this for you, but I can’t.

Their website is http://www.mhhe.com

Good luck, and please let me know how it goes for you.

Bette Frick