“I want to thank you again for helping me to appreciate why I love English. You are such a great steward of the written word—your passion is contagious!” (Medtronic learner)
In 1990, I established The Text Doctor LLC to provide freelance training and editing services to clients in med tech, engineering, and other industries. As a trainer, I’ve delivered both classroom and web-based training (webinars) with a focus on technical writing and helping clients write better reports, presentations, business letters, memos, emails, and other essential technical and business documents.
Starting in 2016, I began to focus primarily on offering editing services in the areas of medical, scientific and technical editing. My credentials as an editor include:
- 26 years’ experience in medical, scientific, and technical editing
- One-on-one editing of student documents through training and follow-up consultations
- Board certification as a medical editor by the Board of Editors in the Life Sciences (BELS)
- Essential Skills Certification (2010) and Concepts in Science and Medicine Certification (2013) from the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA)
- A PhD in English from the University of Minnesota
Consulting, speaking, and publications
In addition to offering editing services, I’m available as a consultant to train your writers, drawing on my 27 years of classroom and webinar training. I enjoy speaking and am known for my lively and highly motivating presentation style. I hold the Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM) award, the highest award conferred by Toastmasters International.
I’m also a published author of two books: Business Matters: An Independent Freelancers Guide to Business Survival (2013) and Webinar School: Planning, producing, and presenting your training webinar (2016), both published by XML Press. I am currently writing Managing Staff Writing for publication in 2018.
For detailed information on my editing and training projects, clients I’ve served, editing tools I use in my work, and more, download my capabilities statement.
Visit my LinkedIn author page.